Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spring Update 1

Ash tree on stilts

Tuesday (4/5/2011) I took another little trip to the Poygan State Wildlife Area to check on the advancement of spring.  Again the morning was filled with the sounds of sandhill cranes, and many ducks and geese were flying, but not as many as a few weeks ago.  I walked along the ditches and waded a short distance into the swamp to take a picture of the flooded forest.  I set the tripod in the water and ice and headed back to high ground to grab my film and light meter.   I made my composition, tripped the shutter and headed back to dry ground.  Apparently for the whole ten minutes this took me, a barred owl was perched in a large silver maple directly above me.  I did not notice it until it silently flew off.

I continued to walk along the ditches of the wildlife area.  I saw my first frogs of the year, two leopard frogs basking in the early April sun. I saw another amphibian while heading across the sedge meadow; there was a small area of deeper water (14 inches) with a thin layer of ice on top surrounding a muskrat house.  As I broke through the ice with my big feet I frightened a tadpole under the ice and it swam away with surprising speed. 

Some of the birds along Black Hawk Road

Flooded farm fields make a good stop over for waterfowl
Tundra swan - 6
Pintail – 7
Mallard – 163
Blue-wing teal – 2
Green-wing teal – 2
Canada goose – 27
Wood duck – 2
Bald eagle – 1
Kingfisher – 1





Part of large school of carp
After that it was off to Waukau Creek to see if any fish were heading upstream to spawn, or in the case of carp, perhaps feed on eggs.  At the dam and pond there is an overflow channel that ends in a carp barrier.  At the base were a dozen northern pike on their spawning migration waiting for the right moment to try and make it over the barrier.  The biggest fish might have been 26 inches.  I walked the length of this channel and a little further (750 ft) and counted 55 northern pike (1 every 14 ft), most of which my grandfather would have referred to as gas pipes (he was a master plumber).   Watching at the base of the carp barrier the water boiled and every few minutes I would see one of these little northern fight to make it upstream and get tossed back.  If the little guys are fast and lucky they might make it past the bars of the barrier, but I doubt any of the larger females will make it past to the lush spawning grounds of Rush Lake.  If you have the chance to check it out they may still be there for the next couple of days.  
Four northern pike bellow carp barrier at Waukau Creek

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff Andrew! This past week I spotted my first flock of Pelicans. I really enjoy watching them during the warm season. Do you know much about their migration routes? Why in the recent years have I been noticing them more than say five years ago?

    Oh, and nice count on the Mallards. 163! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you,

    I saw about 500 mallards today!

    Pelicans have taken up residence on Lake Butte des Morts, Winnebago, and possibly Lake Poygan. They also nest elsewhere in Northeast Wisconsin. For the last couple of years the number of nests has numbered over 1,000 in the Winnebago System, so they are not passing through.

    Pelicans were not found here ten years ago. Some view this as evidence of global warming, but this is not the case. Pelicans probably nested in Wisconsin prior to statehood, but there is no strong evidence, and they also nest in the Canadian Prairie provinces. Why it took them so long to find what have always been excellent fishing grounds is anyones guess, They are here to stay, and their numbers will continue to rise.

    ReplyDelete